Looking for conveyancing online is understandably a bit nerve-wracking. There is an element of distance that breeds doubt when looking to instruct people to deal with such an important and expensive task as tying up the legal aspects of a house sale or purchase.
But online conveyacing can lead to fantastic results and significant savings. The key is to know what you are dealing with before you take the plunge or decide to go to a more traditional conveyancing firm.
Many online conveyancing firms will offer: instant quotes; case tracking online; no-move-no-fee deals; longer working hours and a fixed-fee service, all of which are potentially very valuable to the customer. Beyond that, however, there are three types of online conveyancer, and it is very useful to know what type you are dealing with. They are:
- Volume conveyancing factories
- Specialist online conveyancers
- Online conveyancing marketing companies
Volume conveyancing factories
While many do offer the advantages above, these are, by and large, not worth considering. The positives tend to be outweighed by negatives such as operating from call centres, often overseas. This can lead to:
- Erratic service levels – because you will deal with a number of different people during the process , rather than having your own specialist adviser
- The risk of your case really being handled by data processors rather than actual conveyancers
- The risk of complex cases being passed around and not dealt with as easier cases are focused on to keep case completion above a certain rate
In order to make this work for you be prepared to push and to spend plenty of time on hold.
Specialist Online Conveyancers
In addition to the plusses listed above, these types of firm can offer:
- That all important conveyancing expertise
- Dedicated case handlers with direct contact details
On the negative side, they won’t be as cheap as other options. If such a firm is recommended to you or there is a lot of positive feedback on independent sites on the internet, this could be the way to do. Because specialists are likely to be pricier than other online options, make sure their quote is complete and not hiding any nasty surprises.
Online conveyancing marketing companies
This type of conveyancer is really more of a hub, dealing with a number of solicitors and conveyancers. On top of the standard benefits, they often constantly review the people they deal with, so a high standard of service should be kept. In addition to that, they can:
- Provide contact with your conveyancer
- Offer a service based on a number of preferences, for instance cost or location
- Provide discounted conveyancing fees, perhaps up to 50%, compared to direct instructions
- Provide you with customer reviews and ratings of conveyancers they deal with
An online conveyancing marketing company is as good or bad as the conveyancers it deals with, but can be a rewarding avenue to explore, especially ones that offer customer reviews. The quality of service varies widely, depending on how committed the company is to using only top-level firms. As with all conveyancers, make sure you examine their quote thoroughly, but if you are confident the conveyancers will do a good job, the savings an online conveyancing marketing company can secure you can often make them the best bet.